Saturday 28 July 2007

Rain in Bombay doesn't whisper....it SHOUTS!!!

We did 'voice of the rain' by Walt Whitman in class today....
anyone who's passed thru cbse 11th grade might know the poem...
so here's my take on the voice of the rain.

And what art thou, I grumbled to the torrential deluge.
Which, oddly enouh, gave me an answer....
or maybe it was the voices in my head...
I am the scourge of the Earth, said the rain.
I come, I see, I conquer everything in my path...
Breaking windows, flooding cars,
Stranding people, left with no resort but to shelter
under wet newspapers,
watching the flood wash their life away.
I am evil.
I am Death.
I am life.
I drench fields, crops, trees....
I am the farmer's delight, I am the city-dweller's despair.
I drench shirts, skirts, hair, sarees,
Rendering them translucent and clingy....
(Field day for perverts, huh?)
I trickle down, into your hair, your shirt,
Down your neck, drenching each and every inch of you.
Into your books, melting the pages, washing the ink away....
Don't get fed up already!
It's monsoon....
And I'm here to stay.

2 comments:

myplanetmyrules said...

so true ... but getting stuck in the rain can be fun, especially when there's coffee and women involved ;)

Mystique said...

lol yea i know...i kinda learnt to love rain this vacation...not too used to it, coz i don permanently live in mumbai