Saturday 18 October 2008

WOot. Yet again, I woot.
Possibly the best (or the worst, depends on how you see it) way to prepare for the SAT is to go for a rock concert.
And so, four months after the idea was concieved, we present Fulfilling Dreams, featuring.........

PARIKRAMA!!!

Woot. So yeah, I was volunteer, so i got there REAL early, early enough to watch (and hear, obv) the band do sound checks...

And of course, plaster myself against the ginormous speakers, spread-eagled, and the drums boomed in my heart and my veins....
The music.....it's alive.....

I went off into the mosh pit, which was actually pathetically empty in the beginning, sat around as we waited for the comperes to finish and to introduce........PARIKRAMA!!!

Imagine....
A press of bodies, hands upraised, animal screams...
the sound, it lives, it moves...
the mosh pit throbs...
Best place ever, right against the stage, thump with the bass, the beats in your head, your heart, your soul....it's gonna getcha...
Guitars scream with pleasure as loving fingers by no means gentle tickle them, caress them, hit all the right spots till the instrument moans and finally reaches a beautiful screaming orgasmic peak....
And we out there live the climax.

They started with a fun Rhythm n Blues...which was good, and then they announced Iron Maiden's greatest....
And with the opening chords of Fear of the Dark the crowd went wild.
Right in the front, the crowd pulsates....I clambered onto the shoulders of the unfortunate D.M (thanks buddy....Anyway, i was the first to do that, i actually wanted to crowd-surf but looked like that wasn't happening......some press photographer out there has a photo of an elevated Myst goin wild, I suspect) and started my not-so-good version of headbanging, while trying hard to maintain balance....I swear it felt like I was riding an elephant....
The crowd continued to go ballistic, heads bouncing, sweat dripping, hair flying, all the way through Purple Haze, But it Rained and Another Brick in the Wall, and suddenly a long forgotten tune is struck up and the crowd starts singin Saare Jahaan se Accha...Hindustan Hamara Hamara....

Bounce push heave all the way through Sweet Child of Mine, Paradise City, Trooper, Whiskey blues, Smoke on the Water and finally back on D.M's shoulders for Highway to Hell.....
And then it was over....

(wild screaming here)

My shirts (the purple one and the Parikrama volunteer shirt on top) and my scribbled-on jeans and my hair, all drenched with sweat....

My throat is still sore, and my head feels like a ball on a stick...

But by all the Gods of Rock and everything else.....................it was worth it.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

cant say im jealous you can get to go for stuff like that cuz im not into going for stuff like that <_>

BUT HEY!!! IM JEALOUS YOU CAN EVEN GO!

given the chance that id get to go out to party or freak around id love to...but sadly im in a situation where if i even ASK my parents to go out to have fun...i'll be burdened with books 4 inches thick...(not fun exactly eh?)

moral of story -> hell! I'm in deep shit till may 2009...

did i read SAT (O_o)

you mean *gulp* BITS SAT?
okaaay...so the exam im giving aint THAT tough...but its tough in its own way...>_>'

. said...

Parikrama?

Unknown said...

parikrama = first indian rock band

Quicksilver said...

'But it rained', the first time I heard that song was in a party... and I became so nostalgic that I almost cried. Parikrama is a good band but Pentagram is what defines the indian rock scene.

lucky said...

"waited 4 the comperers 2 finish"?? i understand it mustve been boring 2 listen 2 me talkin about jhankaar, the ambassador, the sponsors, vanlal, etc., but was I seriously that bad??? shit.

lucky said...

and i was thinking it all went reasonably well, considering the fact that the crowd consisted mostly of sadistic kids from ISM who'd jeer anyone or anything on stage apart from the band. honest opinion on this one pls.

. said...

Again. Parikrama? Really? I'm not hating on them. But...

Unknown said...

Nice, lively and colourful description of the concert.. almost made me feel I was there too.

Nice pic...very piquant !! :P

Espèra said...

WOWIE!
Long time I've not been commenting. Sigh. Will get back in practice.

Parikrama!! Awesome! I haven't heard them. Which is sad. But I damn well want to. What I wouldn't do to get to volunteer at a gig. Ha!
We have a concert in our school, Fireball, annual, with all the school bands in the city participating. We often have celeb artists who start the show, or judge. I don't think we've had Parikrama anyway. I know that last year we had Shivani Kashyap though.
Hmm.

Anki said...

the last pic reinds of mine n surs at y first parikrma show way back wen i was 18

i lost the copy though :(

Unknown said...

Shivani kashyap ?!?!?!

LOL!!! :D

We're not talking about an oldies meet...

this is a rock concert. :P

Espèra said...

Ass"nil": I know, I know! I was talking about celeb artists. Not say, popular artists. (I think the only reason they could rope her in was cuz she's an ex-student. Or something. Dunno.)

Scribblers Inc said...

Glad to know that parikrama is rocking the world over...I have seen them umpteen times in Delhi, but they still kick major butt every single time!!And yes, subir malik, the keyboardist, is more than an acquaintance!:)

Scribblers Inc.

P.S.-thanks for followin the blog.HIGH FIVE!! :)

P.P.S-Quicksilver, quick word here. Pentagram is hardly rock, its more of electronica; and parikrama has been rockin for close to 15 years, so lets not even talk about it!! :D

Quicksilver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quicksilver said...

It wasn't really justified to make a comparison really. Both are great bands.

Pentagram btw is alternative rock. But yeah, pentagram formed in 1993 and parikrama two years before that.
If we go by stats, Pentagram's "We're Not Listening" when released in 1996, became India's fastest selling rock album (more than 20,000 copies in a month).


here's why they're so cool :D

Mystique said...

2 viper: lol...yeah after this, my life's gonna be pretty much the same.
and no, not bitsat, i gave the SAT, the thing you need to give to get admission in US colleges.
it was crap.

2 .: yes.

2 quicksilver: yeah i know, that was my first song too....i haven't heard pentagram tho....

2 lucky: no yaar, it was good, except for mack's screechy voice at the end.

2 .: they were good okay?

2 asneel: thengyu.

2 espera: hehe....this was BIIIIG tho. proceeds went to charity.

2 anki: aww..

2 scribbler: what to do....i had to follow na?

lucky said...

thank u. yes, several others cribbed about the screechy voice 2 me.

Princess Consuela Banana Hammock said...

You had some fun man...
Parikrama seriously kicks ass.
and now I am soooo jealous.