Monday 16 June 2008

Sensory Overload

Yeah, well, I've been in Mumbai for hardly a week.....The DAy after i got here, I became an aunt, again. And the day after that, I saw my niece.
She looked.....well, like what most day-old kids look like.....tiny....red....soft....And I looked at her sleeping form and watched her face move as she succumbed to baby dreams, and I suddenly understood why everyone instantly falls in love with babies. She was precious. just precious. We don't have a name for her yet.....but she's beautiful..

And directly from there I had to go to a government hospital in Byculla, where scruffy cats competed with patients for food in a dreary ward, which looked, well, not all there.....

Spent a lot of time either in bookstore or rickshaw, bought 8 books, I normally average 14 every vacation, so I' definitely buying more.......
lesee.....
I found the 2nd and 3rd part of Samit Basu's gameworld trilogy, oh well, i'll just do the whole list later, shall I?
And went to Inorbit on a Sunday, BAD idea, the place was so full, I felt suffocated.....
The thing about this city that always strikes me, is the sheer effort most people take to dress up, just to get outs the house or whatever, the girls look almost model-like, most of them, in tight jeans and figure-hugging tops, layered with a jacket, and definitely some accessores.....you find people dressed so differently, from that end of the spectrum to very traditional, but you don't fing people looking downright scruffy like I do.... So today I'm wearing one of my dressier (and skimpier) shirts, and shorts. I cannot, cannot stand the heat.

Whenever I'm not out, i've usually collapsed on the bed in an exhausted stupor.....still recovering from manali....sigh....
anyway, cheers to me....look me up if you want to meet...can't guarantee, but i can try,.and that's something, na?

10 comments:

SIM said...

Mumbai is an oxymoronic city, a smile hiding a tear. But if you think people there are always impeccably turned out, you should spend more time in Delhi and notice the dressed up dolls... Its long been known as THE vain city.
p.s: congrats on the aunt bit!

Mihir Pathare said...

Hmmm... Now that you mention it, i guess most people really do dress up just to step out of the house.

But i'm pretty sure the fact that you were at inorbit skews that observation a bit. I've seen all lines of crazy things happening there, just coz it's a mall. Most wtf-worthy of which was a couple of teachers leading a long line of 2nd graders in uniform up the escalator. In my day, noone thought of taking us kids out shopping for our picnic. :(

P.S. Rushi's really hard to get hold of. Forgive me if my anime finds it's way to someone else. >_<

Espèra said...

Yep. Kids will shit, throw food, leave soiled clothes, cry and shout, but nevertheless every single body is so infatuated with them

Insomniac said...

Hey!! Happened to stumble upon ur blog.. Congrats on becoming an aunt.. And complete agreement on the fact that Mumbaikars are very immaculately turned out at most times. Even goin out to the local shops takes effort. Quite a pain for someone like me, who cud go any place in tracks. Anyways enjoy ur vacations

why me????? said...

dumbo,,,,u went 2 a mall on a sunday?????????????even when u wer free on all d oder dayz?????????why???why???whyy???/
all gud here...........
js gt bak 2 posting...........
ciao

why me????? said...

i WILL NOT congratulate u on d aunt thingy................dnt ask me why

Anindita said...

You cannot judge a city based on one afternoon of experiences. Especially not when Delhi is the city which prides itself more for the same cause! Inorbit is always a mad thing, always crowded and always exhausting. Maybeif you stay here for some more time, you will be able to judge this city much better! Congrats on being an aunt! :) Do put up some pics soon!!

Mystique said...

2 sim: maybe it's just me who's NOT impeccably turned out.....

2 taurius: yeah theydo. wait. shopping on a PICNIC??? no way.

2 espera: count me out....

2 apu: yeah, i dunno, maybe it's just the students i see, but yeah, when i roam wearing shorts and the first t shirt i see.....

2 sid: I was accompanying my mom. we both realised it was a mistake when we got there. anyway it had its benefits.
(heaves sigh of relief)
I'm overreacting. anyway, hope u havin more fun than me....

2 anandita: not judging!!!! just observing!!!

VenkyMarg said...

aunt eh..? huge responsibilty or none..? anyways.. got your no. thnx for givin it. and hey.!

Mystique said...

2 venky: yeah i forgot to get your no. idiot.